makes between 10-15 pancakes depending on generosity
- 200g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 150g pack of blueberries
- nob of butter and a drizzle of oil for frying
- 1 lemon
- 300ml creme fraiche
- 1tbs of icing sugar
- honey or golden syrup, whichever you prefer
- pop your flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- in a jug, measure out your milk and then crack in the egg and give them a quick whisk together.
- make a well in the middle of your flour and drop in the milky/eggy mixture and whisk really well till theres no lumps left. nothing worse then lumps of flour left in your batter- bork!
- when your batter is lump free, toss in roughly half of your blueberries and give a few of them a bit of a pressing with a fork so you have some smushed and some whole berries in your mix.
- in a clean bowl mix together your creme fraiche, icing sugar the rind of your lemon. remember you only want the yellow non of that bitter white pith. stick it in the fridge till you need it covered with a bit of cling film.
- in a frying pan warm a nob of butter and a drizzle of oil. the butter is for colour and taste and the oil stops the butter from burning.
- when your butter is foaming and warmed drop in small dollops of mixture, I use two tablespoons per pancake and let it fry away till the first side is a lovely light golden brown, then gently flip each pancake till it is the same golden brown and cooked through.
- if your making the whole batch cover them in tin foil as you go to keep them warm.
- I like mine in a stack of three with a wodge of creme fraiche between each, a handful of the fresh blueberries and an artful drizzle of honey.