Friday 7 January 2011

Blonde Ambition

I think if I wasn't a red head I would definitely want to be a blonde. I just love this idea that a hair colour can embellish your life and make it more fun! Also Ms Monroe chose to be a blonde so there must be some sense behind it. I tried to dye my locks once in my youth but due to my incessant aubern-ness it just went the most vile shade of almost eggy yellow; needless to say I was a red head again almost immediately. So in homage to the great blondes out there, I have made my great blonde cake. It had to embody that blonde persona, light and bubbly but with a bit of somethin' somethin'. Originally I wanted to to do a cheesecake but it is January which is my month of frugality due to Decembers over indulgence so I needed something more feather-light? I thought what is more feather light then marshmallows. Easier on the calories then cream cheese but giving the same, possibly even more pleasing texture. 


Ingredients:

For the base:
300g butter biscuits 
60g softened unsalted butter 

For the filling:
100g good quality white chocolate
150g white mini marshmallows
125ml skimmed milk
300ml double cream
12 tsp of ginger syrup
2 tsp lemon juice 
50g pine nuts, toasted

a 10 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom

  • put your biscuits in a food processor and blitz till you get a rubble of sandy crumbs
  • add the butter to your processor and pulse together till the mix starts to come together and forms a buttery clump
  • take your biscuity clump and push it into the tart tin making a smooth base and sides with the back of your hand or a spatula, pop it in the fridge to chill
  • in a pan, warm the milk and the marshmallows together, never letting the mixture boil. it will rise slightly and form a foamy white lather. splodge this pleasing mixture into a heatproof bowl and stand aside to cool 
  • whilst your milky/mallowy mixture is cooling, melt your chocolate. whip up your double cream and ginger syrup in a separate bowl till it forms nice soft peaks. 
  • add your cooled marshmallows and your melted chocolate to your cream mixture and fold together. the mixture should be deliciously oozing and bulging
  • spread your mix onto your chilled biscuit base filling the pie evenly
  • stick the whole thing back in the fridge and chill for at least 5 hours, I left mine overnight
  • when your ready to eat the cake, top with your toasted pine nuts and serve yourself a nice wedge. glorious! This cake tastes like a grown ups milky bar! "The ambition cakes are on Bea!!" (see what I did there.... brilliant wasn't it!) 
(for the ginger syrup, I just buy a jar of stem ginger in syrup and take it out of there, makes life a bit easier ) 


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment