Wednesday 17 November 2010

Nestle tollouse- c'est francais oui?

So before I start I have a horrible dirty secret! These TECHNICALLY are not Nestle Toll House Cookies...
Mr F. is coming home from work today and bless him I thought he deserved a little treat and what better welcome home present then Pheobe Buffay's famed "grandmothers secret recipe" cookies. Sadly with these being American this poses a slight problem to us Brits.. The amazing chocolates of our American friends are few and far between here in England and cost an absolute fortune if you can get your mits on them. Recently I was so overcome with nostalgia that I simply had to buy a box of "Lucky Charms" cereal that cost me five whole English pounds!! Its enough to make you not want to eat them (don't worry I did, that would be just sinful to leave them!!) So not being able to get hold of a bag of their Toll House chocolate chips, I used their regular chocolate  chips....pheeew I'm glad we got that out of the way. I now have on order from the ever reliable Amazon a bag of these elusive morsels at the slightly un appetising price of £4.95 for just over 300 grams..but these are famous cookies....


The recipe is as follows:




  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
  • 1 cup chopped nuts

PREHEAT oven to 375° F......(thats about 190 degrees C to you...)

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. 




What this recipe gives you is a very thick cookie batter. I didn't, as would pretty much anyone wouldn't, have a baking tray that would deliver the apparent 60 cookies this batter is meant to produce. Well I don't know if I'm a bit of a fatty fat fat but I didn't get 60 cookies from my batter, I got exactly half of that using their advised tablespoon methods. Soooo if your looking to provide the bounty of cookies this recipe is meant to, I would perhaps swap to generous, heaped teaspoon measurements. The other slight issue that i stumbled across was that instead of those slightly gooey centred, crispy edged American style cookies that I was perhaps wrongly expecting, this batter makes your cookies balloon almost to dense cake like proportions. My answer to this was pretty simple, if not only slightly aggressive and was to give them a light spanking with the back of a silicone spatula. It seemed to do the trick if I'm honest but I doubt its something that Delia would do! 




So I must go and do a bit of last minute tidying, feed the cats etc. before I go and pick him up from the airport, so we shall talk later. Hope he likes his present!!! Fingers crossed and I shall report back later with general Toll House musings... I've had one so far but it was quite honestly hotter then the sun and a rogue still lava-esque chocolate chip burnt my tongue so I shan't be eating another one until it it is officially cooled and deemed safe for human consumption...... 

xoxo

Ps..your hair looks nice today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment