Monday 15 November 2010

Cod vs. Pecans?

So last week I was out shopping and being the truly excellent girlfriend that I am, decided to purchase the Man Friend the new COD game....no I don't get the fuss either... the only Cod i'm interested in comes in a crispy batter with minted mushy peas.... so anyway, anyway, anyway... Seen as I had been completely selfless and bought the Man Friend his highly coveted game, I felt that I deserved a little somethin' somethin'... So down the same aisle was the books section and shining out to me in all its chocolatey glory was the new Green & Blacks cookbook: Green & Black's Ultimate Chocolate Recipes, The New Collection. 


So I figured that whilst he's busying himself doing whatever it is these COD people do, I can busy myself creating some chocolate based wonders.... For my party last week it seemed only appropriate to try out one of my favourite ever deserts...If you are ever feeling gloomy, slightly downtrodden or world weary a Pecan Pie is surely one of the best mood elevators I can think of. With its heady southern aromas, and I'm talking the real American deep south here, not Essex... Its blend of sugar, maple syrup and pecans...were in heaven! Well that is how I normally make it, until I discovered Green&Blacks chocolate version! Maybe not traditional, maybe not even correct, there is something that is very right about this recipe! Mine were a complete hit! The only slight difference between my recipe and their's is that I couldn't get a large pie crust, so I split mine between smaller cases instead of one large one. I'm giving you their recipe, but if your going to go on the smaller route like me, reduce your cooking time down to between 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven. 



  • Plain flour for dusting..
  • 8 1/2oz Shortcrust pastry case
  • 75g dark chocolate, finely chopped
  • 75g unsalted butter
  • 2 medium free range eggs
  • 75g caster sugar
  • 200g golden syrup
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 100g of pecans finely chopped, plus 100g pecan halves to decorate

  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/gas mark 4. Put the baking sheet in the oven to warm through.
  • Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. Cool slightly.
  • Put the eggs, golden syrup, vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture in a large bowl and fold together until smooth. Fold in the chopped pecans. Pour into the pastry case. Decorate the surface with the remaining pecan halves.
  • Transfer the pie to the hot baking sheet and oven bake for 40-45 minutes until just set.
xoxox




No comments:

Post a Comment