Wednesday 25 May 2011

I'm having a period of a post honeymoon hankering. In Hawaii, I developed an almost un natural addiction to Miso soup pots, noodles and asian food in general. We've been home a few weeks now and I need my hit, so today I made my version of a Chicken and Sweetcorn soup (and I can't stop eating it! HELP!!) I don't know how authentic it is but it tastes mighty good and keeps me in fine honeymoon mood! 


  • 2 whole corn on the cobs
  • 3 large spring onions
  • 2 organic chicken breasts, pre steamed
  • 1 large red chilli
  • large handful of rice vermicelli 
  • 2 litres of good quality chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • small bunch of coriander 

  1. Bring your chicken stock up to simmering point in a large pot and let it bubble away but don't let it boil
  2. Meanwhile strip the cobs from their outer husks and slice off the corn kernels, then finely slice the spring onions and the red chilli into small rings. Drop into the simmering stock
  3. Add your fish and soy sauces
  4. Pull apart your pre steamed chicken breasts. I think the easiest way to do this is with 2 forks going against the grain of the meat. You could slice them but i like the more rustic look. Add these to the broth now
  5. Let the broth simmer again, only for a couple of minutes then drop in the rice noodles. Rice Vermicelli are so fine they take maybe 3 minutes to cook if that.
  6. When the noodles are cooked, decant a portion into a bowl and sprinkle over a flourish of chopped coriander


Like i said, I don't know how authentic this is but i DO know that it is addictive also virtuous and saintly in the calories department. This is the reason I can convince myself that its okay to eat three bowls in a row. Also ...HOW CUTE IS MY SOUP BOWL!! Its a little china man in a paddy hat. Beyond excellent! Any excuse to use that is a bonus!!


xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment